Where was my iPhone 5 made?

25 Oct 2013

written by Rob

Where was my Apple iPhone smartphone made?

Ever wondered where your Apple  iPhone was made? From original concepts right the way through to manufacturing and distribution, we cover the logistics of making an Apple iPhone.

Design lines

The man behind the iPhone design is the British-born Jonathan Ive. He has been in charge of some of Apple’s most important product designs over the last decade-and-a-half and is responsible for everything from the iMac to the iPod and the iPad.

Ive and a team of other creative types hammer out the look and feel of Apple’s products, including the iPhone 5, with plenty of input from technicians who help to work out whether concepts can actually be turned into real products with the available technology.

The sleek look of the iPhone 5, which is one of the thinnest handsets in the world, is something that has been achieved as a result of thousands of hours of work on its design and is a technical achievement worth celebrating.

Manufacturing mastery

The iPhone 5 is made of an alloy within which are housed the various components, including the processor, memory and four inch Retina Display.

These bits of kit come from a range of suppliers, including companies like Samsung from South Korea. The majority of the components are made in Asia, not only because this is where they are designed, but also because this makes them affordable to acquire in large volumes.

The iPhone 5 that spends its time between your palm and your pocket was probably built in China by manufacturer Foxconn. Foxconn puts together lots of different electronic devices, including computer motherboards, so the iPhone 5 is just one of the products which it produces for third parties like Apple.

Foxconn has been criticised for the working conditions and practices which its employees have to endure, so there is a degree to which your own conscience might need to get involved when deciding whether or not to buy iPhones manufactured by this firm.

Express delivery

Apple has suffered a few manufacturing setbacks over the course of the history of the iPhone and the latest iteration is no different, leading to shortages in some areas shortly after its launch last year.

Things have got up to speed by now and you will have no problem getting hold of an iPhone 5 in the UK, with various network providers and retailers taking care of the shipment and delivery of the handset to customers.

The iPhone 5 has travelled thousands of miles from the design studios of California to the factories of China and finally to your doorstep. Make sure that the journey was worth it.

Check out E2save.com for a great range of contract deals on the iPhone 5

Future innovation in mobile technology

Share with all your buddies

About the author

Follow me on Google+ and let me know your thoughts on the latest tech.

Read more posts by Rob

Leave a comment below